Last year, I was in my law firm's softball team. I played outfield. Even at the age of 44, I led the team in walks (maybe b/c I can't run very well, he, he, he) There were some moments in softball where I had some fun and came home from the game with a smile on my face.
We had a decent team, but still there were very good teams in our league and we were only 1-6. Yes, readers, we only won 1 damn game!
Now, the woman in our law firm who organized our softball team is suffering from cancer. She won't play but she wants the rest of our firm to play. 2/3 of our outfield is gone. 2/3 of our power hitters - gone. We will field a much poorer team than last year. I reluctantly joined the team this year as I didn't want to be a weasel, but man if we win even one game, I think I'll hop all the way from Chicago to my town Oak Forest (that's 25 miles). Plus, I know that our co-worker, the organizer with cancer needs all the happiness she can get, and I didn't want to disappoint her by saying "no".
Oh well, I know I will have fun. But that's not the point, going out there and getting your ass kicked as a team is kind of lousy.
1 comment:
It's true what you said: getting your ass kicked is DEFINITELY NOT fun!
Post a Comment