In the fall of 1979, we beat Barneveld. Schmitz said at the Labor Day Picnic, "you'll win." We knew we had a very good passing attack. Barneveld was known for a brutal tornado, thru the years. In 1979, Barneveld was beaten by the Bulldogs when Dean passed to Miller and others went for over 200 years. Bulldogs win on the road
It was our non-conference game of the season. I was playing both defensive end and tight end. In the 1st half, I ran a post pattern, Miller was covered, and there was the ball. Caught it; secured the ball, put my head down when I was covered;
slammed into the cornerback and went another few yards for the first down.
Later in the game, Miller collapsed the pocket batted the ball, I was going after the QB.
As the ball went end over end, I knew it was mine. I intercepted it; ran it, drove a few yards until I was brought down. The crowd in Ithaca was on fire. This was the 1st game I got rid of sport goggles and went with my contact lens.
Coach thought let's get someone who runs like a deer. He replaced me with Steve
They knew MIller was an excellent receiver, but Barneveld didn't pay attention to the substitution. Dean to Steve for a TOUCHDOWN.
Barneveld wanted it more than us.
They passed; they completed. Their offense scored again. The 2nd half belonged to Barneveld.
There's a moment that stands crystal clear. I was defensive end. I saw on TV; I saw teams against the Bulldogs. IF THE DEFENSE END DOESN'T HAVE OUTSIDE CONTAINMENT, RBs & QBs score quick running down the sideline. I saw that happen over and over again.
There was the QB 12 feet away. Do I run fast as I can and sack him? No, who runs like a deer. I didn't.
The QB threw for a big gain maybe even a touchdown!
I contained but didn't sack him.
Barneveld beats the Bulldogs. I wore #80. The whole team was upset.
Next 2 weeks, we beat Wauzeka and LaFarge (both conference games in the Ridge and Valley conference. The Bulldogs in the past 4 seasons won 2 games. We won those 2 games. But, it was simply 3 games to build on for future football players.
No comments:
Post a Comment