Friday, February 12, 2010

a strange tax refund

I received my tax refund. Very puzzling tho' !  The US government gave me $400 more than I wrote down on my tax return. That is even more surprising than it sounds, b/c I used the 1040EZ Form.  The form made it so obvious how I came up with the amount of the refund, I meticulously checked my numbers, so I don't understand how the US gov't can give me more money.

MB has laid claim to almost $400 of my refund. But I can't be angry with her, b/c it was legit stuff. I paid for the repair of the front door, and now I'm going to pay for Ted's glasses. It's not like she's forcing me to get her a new dress or new mink coat (obviously I would say "no" to that).
I am not nearly as optimistic at this tax refund as I was with last year's tax refund. Last year, it gave me a very strong, positive momentum financially for 6 months! It helped me pay down credit cards, fix my bike (& then I biked 100s of miles last spring & summer), and it got us a new computer which we really needed.

This year, I'm using it to fix a specific part on my bike (so I won't be spending as much on it as last year's repair), pay down debt. The problem is that I will probably see my debt go back up, because I will be forced to pay for medical bills for my new health problem. 

Let me explain.   My father and older brother both have had prostate cancer.  Thankfully, they made a full recovery from it.  My great grandfather apparently also had prostate cancer, and he died (way back in the early 1900s, almost 100 yrs. ago).  So, obviously my family has a history of this cancer, and my chances of getting this is greater than a normal man's chancees.   I get my prostate tested every year (not 1, but 2 exams).  This year my exam came back with bad results.  I won't know until at least Feb. 22 (& it will be likely that I won't find out till later, like when they do a biopsy) what's going on and my Dr. explains the test results and what they plan on doing in terms of testing and treatment.

1 comment:

Amel said...

Glad to hear about the extra tax refund, but sorry to hear about the bad exam results. I hope it's nothing serious, though. Keep me updated!!!