How many of you out there have the Rolling Stones album LET IT BLEED? The 3rd track on it is a song you never hear on the radio called "Country Honk". It’s the earlier version of the better-known song "Honky Tonk Woman". Obviously, "Country Honk" is a country western version of "Honky Tonk Woman". All the things in this song are things I despise in Country Western music. My opinion is that Country Western music sucks. I used to have wake up at fuckin' 5:00 am and go to the barn & milk cows. & our local radio station that was barely worth a "fiddler's fuck" played Country Western music in the morning. "Country Honk" actually has a fiddle on it. The fiddle is DEFINITELY NOT my favorite musical instrument. But the fiddle played by Byron Berline in this song puts a sweet ole' shit-eatin' grin on my face. I LOVE THAT FIDDLE PART ON "COUNTRY HONK". Where fiddles usually suck on all those hayseed songs that I heard milking cows, well it works like mad on "Country Honk". You can just imagine them doing this song in the studio. The great fiddling virtuoso, Berline, standing there fiddling his ass off, while Mick is singing glibly and right along side him is "Keef" Richards playing acoustic guitar and a 20 yr. old guitar virtuoso, Mick Taylor (who just joins the band that year, 1969) playing SLIDE GUITAR alongside them all.
I love this song so much! & few people know about it b/c it never gets played on the radio unless it's some special program like "Midnight Album nightly special: LET IT BLEED by the Stones" or some program like that.
My favorite music is the deep cut. I will come back to this subject from time to time. There are some great deep cuts. "Let Me Take You Home Tonight" & "Party" both by Boston. "The Rover" by Led Zeppelin, "Different Strings" by Rush, "Glass Onion" and "Baby You're a Rich Man" both by the Beatles. the beauty of the DEEP CUT is that it's like a beautiful secret shared among only a few people. No one knows about the DEEP CUT except you and the few that also have that album. (I guess in the Beatles and Stones case it's not really "few")
The DEEP CUT plays into and proves my theory about mileage and songs. (Part of the theory is that some popular songs are played so much that they sound worse and worse b/c like an old car they deteriorate from overuse.) The DEEP CUT is like that car that is shined and polished and only driven a few hundred miles so that sweet beauty is in MINT CONDITION! & the sweetest, most sublime part is YOU ARE ONE OF THE FEW PEOPLE WITH THE PRIVILEGE OF DRIVING THE CAR!!
1 comment:
I've never heard of "Country Honk" before, but I did find it at youtube. :-))) I think I've got a different taste in music, though he he he...
Post a Comment