The Rasberries were a group that hit it big in the early 70s. The best known band member was Eric Carmen. He was the man who penned in his later solo years "Hungry Eyes" and the melancholy "All By Myself" .
When I was visiting my older brother in college at the tender age of 9, I heard a cool guitar-riff, laden song with a very adolescent plea for its title. The song started with a cool, thundering catchy lead guitar riff. Then a rolling bass, then Eric Carmen sings,
"I never knew how complete love could be Till she kissed me and said,............"
From "Go All the Way"
The sweet voice, the beautiful harmonizing vocals provided by Carmen’s bandmates; their imitation of their model THE WHO.
But wait a minute! That’s not the way life is! I never had an easy time with dates. I only dated one girl from that great Ithaca High School. & she wasn’t even any fun. Besides, the one girl who hinted to me to have sex with her my senior year after the Homecoming Dance was politely refused by yours truly. Something I’m not 100% sure was the right decision. I ended up not losing my virginity until I was 22. But my Mom & Dad taught me well and a young VS would have been a below average father as I am struggling now to help an ailing oldest son and a somewhat happy middle son and youngest daughter.
Aw screw it, the song is still damn good so let’s continue reading these lyrics.
"....Till she kissed me and said,
CHORUS: Baby please, go all the way
It feels so right
Being with you here tonight
Please, go all the way
Just hold me close
Don't ever let me go
I couldn't say what I wanted to say
Till she whispered "I love you so" repeat that damn chorus
But what about all the premarital sex? What about all the unwanted kids, what about the abortions, what about the parents not ready??????? Yeah, well, what about Eric explaining the following to us:
Before her love I was cruel and mean I had a hole in the place Where my heart should have been!
But now I've changed, and it feels so strange
I come alive when she does all those things to me and she says
(Check out the counterpoint harmonies on this now! E=Carmen B=Bandmates!!!)
"E:Come on,
B: come on
B: come on! E: I need you
B: come on! E: I love you
B: Come on! E: I need you Repeat that damn chorus
If you get their greatest hits you get to also hear "I Just Want to Be With You" and some other kick ass songs.
What do they all mean? Tell me & we’ll both know!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment