Wednesday, July 27, 2005

That's a nice thing to say, but..........

I had a rather humorous encounter the other day at the law firm. We have an associate lawyer, George, who is 69 years old. There’s three reasons everyone admires him: one is that he’s an excellent lawyer; secondly, he is treated very well by my ogre boss (because the moment my boss treats him like he does everyone else, George would be gone like the cool breeze). Finally, he’s not a jerk.
So, anyway, since George was having some problems finding out some medical information about a physician, I directed him to a website where he was able to get extensive info on the Dr. in question. (In case you want to know what the site is just ask because it’s a nationwide site). So, he gets the information that he wants, then he turns to me and says, "I wish I had your brains!"
Oh, my God! Here’s a guy who graduated with a law degree from the very esteemed University of Chicago a year before I was born. He was the partner/leader of a law firm for nearly 26 years. He made a lot of money; he’s admired by many people in the Chicago legal community. Here’s a man of immense accomplishment, and he wants my brains!!? The brains of a guy who did not get a law degree and is barely making ends meet! Truly, I don’t get it !?!?
Mind you, I'm not saying I'm dumb (my self esteem isn't that low) but still what situation would a person rather be in between the 2 of us????

1 comment:

Kriss Andsten said...

There's a slight and subtle difference between wanting the brains and the life, mind. Don't look a gift compliment in the mouth.. ;-)

On a very unrelated token, I must say your writing improved lately. Less stilted, more.. user friendly. Keep it up!