Thursday, May 19, 2005

2nd fiction story, COUNTY FAIR WORK

COUNTY FAIR WORK
At the McHugh County Fair, the pair running the ticket counter were unlikely to be together during routine times. Will was brash, optimistic and just graduated from high school. He would tell anyone who cared to listen that he was enrolling at the University of Chicago in pre-law. After graduating with honors in four years, he was going to attend law school wherever he chose "and be a damn good lawyer like my old man." 

Sara Dean was a secretary at a real estate firm. She had been typing and taking orders for 25 long years. She was nearing the point of burn out and was cynical and bitter about all that she had been through. Still, she had her pride. For a divorcee pushing 50 with two adult sons, she stayed fit and could still attract men 15 years younger than her. The pair’s three-hour shift was selling tickets for kids riding the Zipper, Tilt-a-Whirl, Ferris Wheel, and other carnival rides. Enthusiastic children were pulling their tired parents all over the Midway. The non-air-conditioned ticket booth was anything but pleasant with the temperature near 90. Yet, they both did their job well. The process of selling tickets and making change was a cinch for this strong-willed, intelligent pair. In between they asked a routine question ("How many tickets do you want") and made helpful comments ("A dollar a ticket"; "25 tickets for $20" or "A wristband for rides was only for Saturday"). 

Through it all, they were able to have a conversation sometimes heated, but surprisingly, at times, empathetic. The conversation was as follows: Sara: Hi, I’m Sara, and I already know your name, Will, you callow little shit" Will: I know what "callow means, and you shouldn’t even pretend to know me from a load of hay! Sara: Oh well, sorry, Will, but hay is not quite as green as you are. Will: How can you pretend to know me. Sara: Let’s do a little Q & A, shall we? Will: Fine! Sara: Are you going to go to college? Will: Of course! Sara: Where at? Will: University of Chicago. Sara: What does your father do? Will: You already know that! Sara: Ohhhh! Touche, WIIILLLLSSS! Will: I’m not "Wills"! Wills is a prince in England that gets laid a lot. Sara: More than you, Will? He shot her a stare as they sold more tickets. After awhile she asked in a more soothing voice: Do you have a girlfriend. Will: No, see, you don’t know the slightest thing about me! Sara: (in a husky, low voice) Try me! Will: What do you know? Sara: You’re a hard-working 18 year old who graduated with Honors. You never went out for sports____." Will: (interrupting) Wrong! I was in football all four years. (Turn) Sara: But you rode the bench, except when you were on the junior varsity team____." Will: (interrupting again and stating with pride) I intercepted a pass in JV. Sara: Bravo, Will. Are you going to let me finish??! (After a pause, she continues) You broke up with your girlfriend 1 month___________." Will: (interrupting) 1 year and how did you know _________." Sara whistled a surprised pitch and interrupted back: Wow, Will, you don’t know how to keep them! After a long pause and a light of her Virginia Slim, she continued: Will, I dated guys like you 30 years ago! Then, I got a job, had kids, spent more money then I cared to think about, been yelled at, ordered around and told how ugly my sons were. I’ve seen a few things you haven’t, don’t you think?? Will: (subdued) I guess so. Sara: You were probably voted most likely to succeed, weren’t you. Will: They don’t vote for things like that anymore. Sara: You might not be humbled next school year by your English professor, but ___________. " Will: (interrupting) Maybe by the law professor teaching Contracts five years from now. Hell, Sara, I get cut down to size by my dad on a regular basis. Sara: Well, that’s not a very nice thing to do to such a hard working, intelligent graduate! (They smiled at each other.) Sara continued: See, I’m not so mean after all! Will: (murmuring) No, and I guess you know a thing or two about me. Sara: Why, thanks, Will. After a little more conversation and ticket selling, their shift ended soon after.

3 comments:

Trevor said...

Thanks for reading our blog, and yours is sweet too. I'm linking to your site on our blog now.

Trevor said...

but wait-- you say you're a democrat?
that's interesting, because we at the CCS are pretty darn hard right (generally republican)...

Qualityservice44 said...

come on now, we can have a few differences can't we?